Mumbai Dabbawala tour - unique lunch box delivery force
In this Mumbai dabbawala tour, you will get an insight into the incredible and vintage aspect of the Mumbai city. For decades the community has been offering tiffin delivery services all across Mumbai.
Key Highlight only available with this tour.
- This is official Dabbawala tour (unlike other published tours which give you superficial info from far away)
- You will get presentation by officials on the way of working. This is the same presentation which even Harvard Business School students also learnt from them.
- You will get to travel in the train compartment reserved for Dabbawalas for the transport of the tiffins. No one else would offer this.
- You get an authentic cap, which is accessed only by Dabbawalas
- Get a chance to run the cart yourself (only for a demo though)
- You get to deliver the tifin to the end customer yourself, thus completing the entire loop of service.
Through the years, they have become an integral part of Mumbai. In this tour, you will be spending half a day with these folks understanding the objective of dabbawala of Mumbai who carries and delivers freshly made home cooked meal.
You will experience their way of working & also understand their elaborate yet effective tiffin marking system. This marking system works quite flawlessly for delivering freshly made food from home. This memorable trip will deliver all you need right at the core of your heart.
Dabbawala Office, Opposite to Waman Hari Pethe Jewellers, Dadar West
About This Tour
The city of the dream has a lot of offerings in its culture, food, history, heritage, Bollywood & lot more. Mumbai's population is 12 million & it is one of the biggest metro cities in India. This city host Indian and the world's largest corporate offices. These office employee hundreds of thousand of office workers and for them getting food from home while leaving early becomes a challenge. To solve this challenge, Dabbawala's famous tiffin delivery service works tirelessly, carries and delivers freshly made home food. The word Dabbawala came from lunch Boxes and carrier of these boxes & DabbaWala can be interpreted as box carriers.
In this tour, we will get to know the reason for how this system works efficiently. Without the use of any technology aid like a laptop or mobile phone these old-age system tricks. It is only possible by passion, dedication & belief. This tour is priced based on the group tour. For a private tour let us know we can customise based on your requirement.
- Tour starts at 9.15 AM - We will start this tour by meeting the official dabbawalla management team at their premises at Dadar.
- The management team of Dabbawala will give us a detailed presentation on the history, working, and science used in this system.
- Time 9.30 Am to 10.30 AM.After we finish the presentation at 10.30 Am, we will be escorted towards the platform where dabbawalas disembarking the dabbas (tiffin boxes).
- Time 10.30 Am to 10.45 Am. After finishing the above step at 10.45 Am, we will walk for 10 minutes with Dabbawalas to the Dadar Railway station along with handcarts/cratesSorting.
- After reaching the station, we will take local train and from their reach platform to board the local train from Dadar railway station to the Churchgate railway station.
- Time 11 Am to 11.30 Am.In this train journey, you will get to see the boarding and deboarding of lunch box crates at next coming stations.
- In this local train journey, you will also get the chance to click great photographs.
- Our final destination in this journey would be Churchgate. Where we will see how Dabbawalas are resorting to Dabba at Churchgate Railway Station for the end delivery of lunch boxes.
- From here if you wish you can go to Gateway of India or Marine drive to enjoy Mumbai's beauty. This tour ends here and for your onward journey, you can take a cab from the Churchgate station.
Duration of tour
- This tour will take approximately 4 hours.
What to expect on this tour?
- Learn about one of Mumbai's most famous professionThis tour will include walking and boarding a local train in Mumbai.You will get a chance to click great photographs of Mumbai life.
What does this tour include?
- A professional English speaking tour guide would be escorting this tour.Travel Charges of the local train journey.Gandhi Caps as small gift.Permission of photography on the tour.
What are the tour exclusions
- Any personal nature expenses.Pick up and drop from the hotel.
Things to Note
- This tour would be available only on weekdays
- The earnings from this tour goes to Dabbawala association and this money is spent for development and welfare of Dabbawalas.
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes as this tour include walking.
- Dress code for this tour would be smart casualsThis tour is not wheelchair accessible
- This lunch box delivery system is 125 years old & a lesser-known thing to do for a tourist. Their task is to carry and delivery fresh homemade food to officer goers on time without error. They delivery 200,000 tiffin boxes every day without a single error in six million deliveries. 5000 dedicated tiffin delivery personals without any technical support, not even smartphones.
- They are so wonderful that even the Six Sigma system has tried to understand their manual way of excellent working.
- They have also attracted not only national fame but they are well recognized globally. Eminent personalities like Prince Charles of the UK, Sir Richard Branson of Virgin Atlantic has recognized and awarded them. They have been also recognized and awarded by many global benchmarks like Guinness book of world records.
The mode of transportation to delivery so efficiently these 200k lunch boxes are bicycle, wooden cart & Mumbai's local train. What is the secret sauce of this flawless execution?
Cancellation policy of Tour
- If you cancel the tour before 3 days of the tour start date, a full refund will be given.
- If you cancel within 1-3 days of the tour start date, there is a 30% cancellation fee.
- If you cancel within 1 day of tour start, full cancellation charges would be applied
Other related tours you can take
- We can also combine this tour with an interesting offbeat tour Dhobi ghats also famous for flogging stone photos where this city's hotel, hospital dirty linen washed. Dhobi ghat, the largest open-air laundry system an experience one must-have can be done along with Dabbawalas and dhobi ghat experience tour for you.
- If you are one who like authentic tour of Dabbawala, then we bet you will also love to explore Mumbai's Dharavi Slum Tour also which will give you a very different perspective to life.
- If you are kind of person who don't like touristic places, we have strong suggestion to make. Please explore rural village experience to Dehne village we have curated for you. Stay with local villagers, eat food what they cook and see a completely different life.
- Mumbai a cosmopolitan city of India is also famous for various things including Bollywood, Chatrapati Shivaji Terminus formerly known as Victoria terminus for its architecture, Siddhivinayak temple, Haji Ali Dargah (mosque), it is financial capital of India hosting 2 of biggest stock exchange NSE & BSE, oldest hotel Taj in Mumbai from the ultra modern Sahar star hotel.