Best Shore Excursions In India You Need To Explore 2
So you are going on a Cruise! Cruise ships are a great way to travel across the globe and explore the incredible port cities that make frequent stops on a long journey. You would have the time of your life while enjoying the lavish amenities onboard. But are you seriously just going to stay up sitting onboard your ship sipping drinks even after it isn’t going to depart for the whole day? We know the inner rogue traveler in you is not going to permit that. So what options do you have? The only thing you can do is go on a shore excursion. Shore excursions in India are a series of tours that include a visit to prominent places of the port city such as monuments, cultural centers like museums, shopping places, restaurants, and entertainment spots.
It incorporates all the best facades of the city with a guided tour or with certified local experts. You can either do this or explore the city on your own or book a local tour guide in advance to show you the sites.
Shore Excursions in India
- India is one of those countries which has been blessed with a long coastline stretching about more than 7,000 km. It is home to some of the best port cities in the world such as Mumbai, Goa, and Kochi that are truly ideal to enjoy shore excursions in India.
- There is a wide array of things to explore and do in these cities which you are free to experience given the fact that you come across the cuisine, landmarks, and the people.
- Whether it’s the photogenic spot of the Gateway of India, Mumbai or the aesthetic ambiance of the backwaters of Kerala, here are a few selected shore excursions in India that would be your very own unique Indian Carribean adventure:
Mumbai Shore Excursions - Exploring shores of Bombay
These incredible Mumbai Shore Excursions take you through the economic capital of India and its bustling metropolis. Start your tour of Mumbai at the port located on the grounds of Apollo Bunder in Colaba and move on to depths of the city discovering monuments, landmarks, food and much more.
You have enjoyed the delicious food on board the cruise? But did you find the Indian burger called ‘Vadapav’ on the menu? You didn’t? How about some Bhelpuri? To taste this local gastronomy you have to step off the ship and take a walk in the lanes of Mumbai.
Visit Juhu Beach and some Bhelpuri or hop on to Madras Café for a mouth-watering dosa with some coffee. Food places such as Bade Miyan, Café Mondegar, Theobroma exist to tantalize your tastebuds.
- You could spend some time on the crowded yet pristine beaches of Juhu or click selfies near the Gateway of India and the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel. Take a ferry to explore the enigmatic Elephanta island, also known as Gharapuri. It hosts the UNESCO World Heritage site of Elephanta caves dating back to the 2nd-Century.
- Want to see the world’s largest open-air laundry? Visit the bustling Dhobi Ghat that cleans tons of clothes every day. Seek blessing at various religious hubs around the city including the Siddhivinayak Temple dedicated to Lord Ganesha, the ISKON Temple, and the iconic Haji Ali Dargah.
- Explore the vicinities of Dharavi slum, that houses thousands of small businesses. These units produce goods ranging from leather, pottery, handicrafts that are capable enough to mesmerize you on this Mumbai Shore Excursion. History awaits your arrival at the Mani Bhavan, the former residence of the Father of India, Mahatma Gandhi.
Fall in love with the beauty of Gothic-style architecture with the captivating glimpses of Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus formerly known as Victoria Terminus. This railway station is a popular heritage site.
Jehangir Art Gallery is a prominent place hosting aesthetic art exhibitions that could also be something of your interest. If you are a historical antique lover then the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya also known as the Prince of Wales Museum should be on your list.
Would love to see some lush greenery amidst the concrete jungle? Visit the Sanjay Gandhi National Park. Take a cycling tour to get glimpses of nature. You ride till the end and reach the iconic Kanheri Caves. If you have to be in South Mumbai, the vicinities of Malabar Hill tend to offer an incredible blend of sea face and lush gardens. Spend some time at the Hanging Gardens, Kamala Nehru Park and the Priyadarshani Park to calm your soul.
Further on your Mumbai Shore Excursion, lose yourself in the tales of the bustling bazaar of the Crawford Market and Colaba Causeway. Other markets such as the Fashion Street, Zaveri Bazaar and Chor Bazaar are also worthy to check out. You could cap it all with a sweeter note by going for a drive along Marine Drive or by sitting on its pavements. Let the dynamism of the city envelope you as you complete the first part of your Shore Excursion in India.
Cochin Shore Excursions - Captivating shores of Cochin
Cochin Shore Excursion will take you through several historical sites such as the Oldest Jewish Synagogue of Asia, the Indo Portuguese Museum and the ornate Chinese fishing nets:
After getting off your elegant cruise ship, you need to get ready for a God's Own Country backwaters cruise. Simply known as a houseboat. Unlike Mumbai, you won't come across a grand Taj Mahal Palace hotel or Prince of Wales Museum but the inherent and serene lush greenery all around. Get ready to experience a blend of culture and natural heritage as this tour includes a visit to Jewish localities, synagogues, and backwaters.
You might have seen too much sea on your voyage but the inland natural canals that go through the city of Kochi (Cochin) should not be missed. Cruise smoothly through the backwaters offering a serene aura amidst the coast lined with coconut and palm trees, paddy fields and much more
Reach Alleppey and enjoy a traditional and magnificent Houseboat tour. Experience an incredible blend of luxury and traditional local culture as you drift upon the quaint backwaters. Get a massage or spot exotic animals on this splendid journey.
The later part of this Cochin shore excursion involves visiting the traditional fishing grounds boasting 150-year old Chinese fishing nets used by locals to earn a livelihood. Know their history and how it shaped the lives of people through generations during this day tour.
European heritage and cultural remnants grace the city of Kochi at all points. The St. Francis Church, the oldest European church in India is the must-see site. Here you could also visit the burial site of Vasco da Gama, the legendary Portuguese explorer to set sail for India. His remains were returned to Portugal in the year 1539.
Cochin Jews have been one of the most integral parts of the city's demography and culture for centuries. Also known as Malabar Yehuden, the Jewish community heavily contributed towards the economic and commercial development of Cochin.
- Jewish Synagogues alleviates the beauty of this city. Visit the Cochin Jewish Synagogue also known as the Paradesi Synagogue. It is the oldest synagogue among the Common Wealth Nations that is still an active place of Worship. It is located in Old Cochin which also known as Jew Town.
- You could also further explore the Roman Catholic heritage, monuments, and churches during this Cochin Shore Excursion. Cochin is home to various elegant and breathtaking Roman Catholic monuments. You could visit sites such as Santa Cruz Basilica Roman Catholic Cathedral, National Shrine Basilica of Our Lady of Ransom and many other religious places in the region of Fort Kochi.
Further, you can visit the royal Mattancherry Palace which was built by the Portuguese as a gift to the King of Cochin. Also known as the Dutch Palace, the murals upon its walls depicting Hindu mythology and tales would mesmerize you to the very core of your heart.
There is so much to see in this big city you could also take some time to learn the local cuisine by attending a traditional cooking class. It will truly make this Cochin Shore Excursion tour memorable.
Goa Shore Excursions - The blend of Goan-Portuguese culture
Beautiful beaches full of golden sand, scenic views of the Arabian sea and an enriching** cultural heritage** await you on this Goa Shore Excursion. Get off your cruise ship and enter the realms of the state that offer one of the best nightlife in the world.
Whether it is the Cansaulim beach and Utorda beach, the party will go on even as the sun rises. You could get a tour guide that will take you through the prominent destinations Panaji, Margao, and Old Goa and show you heritage monuments, food places, and bustling spice markets.
- When Vasco Da Gama discovered a sea route from Europe to India, who knew it would completely change the forthcoming legacy of the state of Goa. Being a Portuguese territory for centuries, the cultural aspects of Goa much more diverse than expected.
- The remnants of the Portuguese culture and Roman catholic monuments can be found in and around Goa and Old Goa. Visit the Basilica of Bom Jesus, that is located in Goa Velha which means Old Goa in Portuguese. A UNESCO World Heritage site holds the remains of St. Francis Xavier.
- Old Goa will show you breathtaking glimpses of other holy landmarks such as the Se Cathedral and the Church of St. Francis of Assisi while you explore further on this Goa Shore Excursion.
- As you move through the winding roads lined with palm and coconut trees, enjoy scenic views of paddy fields. On your way to Panaji city, visit the Shantadurga Temple, one of the most prominent Hindu temples in Goa. It belongs to the Goud Saraswat Brahmin community residing in Goa.
- While exploring Panaji, get the vibes of being in an old European city as you see vintage villas built in Portuguese architectural style. The Bairro das Fontainhas Latin quarter is quite popular for old colorful villas, bungalows, cafes, and marketplaces that are must-see.
Home to one of the best beaches in the world, Goa offers you the likes of Dona Paula and Cansaulim beach where you could lay down and relax while enjoying the pleasant breeze of the ocean. You could enjoy water sport activities like jet-skiing, parasailing, banana boat rides, and water scooter rides at Baga and Calangute beaches. Dance away your worries at the various popular nightclubs near the beach. Enjoy all you want from a chilled beer to Goan Feni (Liquor made from cashew nut).
You could also take a spice plantation day tour at Ponda city and learn organic methods used to produce aromatic spices.
Satisfy your inner history buff and pay a visit to Margao where you would come across Goa Chitra Museum which is home to more than 4,000 artifacts.
Goa is a foodie’s paradise with a wide variety of seafood to taste from such as Pork Vindaloo, Tandoori Lobster, Goan prawns curry and much more. These meals would definitely lift your heart during this Goa shore excursion.
There you go! A simple list and guide to show you show of the best Shore Excursions in India!